Checking your SASSA (South African Social Security Agency) grant balance allows you to monitor your available funds and transactions. Many SASSA beneficiaries want to check their balance without using airtime on their mobile phone.
Fortunately, there is a free method to check your SASSA balance using USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) without requiring any airtime. But beware of fake balance checks like *130*.
- 1 What is USSD?
- 2 Benefits of Using USSD to Check SASSA Balance
- 3 Step-by-Step Guide to Check SASSA Balance via USSD
- 4 Check Balance Regularly via USSD
- 5 Troubleshooting USSD Balance Checks
- 6 Get Help from SASSA
What is USSD?
USSD is a protocol used by mobile networks to communicate with the service provider’s computers. USSD messages create a real-time connection during the session. This allows you to access services like checking your SASSA balance directly through the mobile network without needing mobile internet.
USSD sessions are often used for services like recharging airtime, checking balances, or retrieving statements. When using USSD, your request is sent directly to the mobile provider’s servers and the response is displayed on your mobile screen. This makes USSD ideal for checking your SASSA balance without using your airtime.
Benefits of Using USSD to Check SASSA Balance
Utilizing the SASSA USSD service to check your balance offers several benefits:
- It is free – No airtime or data is deducted when using USSD to check your SASSA balance. This helps you save money, especially when you need to monitor your balance regularly.
- Works offline – USSD does not require an internet connection. As long as you have network coverage, you can check your balance even without mobile data.
- Fast and convenient – USSD provides real-time balance information instantly on your mobile screen. You don’t need to wait for pages to load.
- Secure – USSD sessions are encrypted for security purposes. Your personal and financial information remains protected when checking your balance via USSD.
- User-friendly – Following the USSD prompts to check your balance is very straightforward. USSD works on both basic feature phones and smartphones.
Step-by-Step Guide to Check SASSA Balance via USSD
Follow these simple steps to check your SASSA grant balance using the free USSD service:
1. Dial the SASSA USSD Code
On your mobile phone, dial the USSD code provided by SASSA to check your grant balance:
This USSD string is specially allocated by SASSA to retrieve and display your SASSA balance information.
2. Initiate the USSD Session
Once you have dialed the code, initiate the USSD session by pressing the green call button on your mobile phone. This will connect you directly to the SASSA servers via the mobile network.
3. Follow Balance Check Prompts
After pressing call, your mobile screen will display prompts for you to enter details and check the balance. Follow the instructions and enter any required information like SASSA card number or ID number.
The exact prompts may vary depending on your mobile network and the SASSA USSD service in use. Simply follow the directions as displayed on your mobile screen.
4. View Your SASSA Balance
Once you have entered the required information and followed the prompts, your current SASSA grant balance will be displayed on the mobile screen.
The balance indicates the exact amount of funds currently available in your SASSA account for withdrawal or use. Your recent transactions may also be displayed to monitor account activity.
5. End the USSD Session
Once you have checked your SASSA balance successfully, end the USSD session by pressing the red call end button on your mobile phone. This will terminate the connection to the SASSA servers. Your airtime or data will still remain intact.
Check Balance Regularly via USSD
Now you know how to conveniently check your SASSA grant balance directly from your mobile phone without using any airtime. This USSD method provides an affordable and efficient way to regularly monitor your balance.
Be sure to check your SASSA balance at least once a month or whenever you need to confirm your available funds and account status. This helps ensure you can utilize the full amount in your grant and avoid any shortfalls.
Monitoring your balance also protects you against potential fraudulent activity and ensures the funds are available when you need to withdraw cash or make purchases. Stay on top of your SASSA grant funds by using the easy USSD method whenever you need.
Troubleshooting USSD Balance Checks
When checking your SASSA balance via USSD, you may encounter errors or issues in some cases. Here is how to troubleshoot some common problems:
- Wrong USSD code – Ensure you are dialing the correct USSD code allocated by SASSA for balance checks. Double check the code and retry.
- Verification failed – If prompted for verification like ID number and there is an error, re-enter the correct details carefully. Contact SASSA if the issue persists.
- Session timeout – USSD sessions will automatically time out after a few minutes if inactive. Redial the USSD code and complete the process quicker.
- Low network signal – Weak mobile network signals may disrupt the USSD session. Move to an area with stronger reception.
- Incorrect details – Provide accurate card numbers, ID numbers, or other info when prompted to avoid errors.
- Account limits – Certain accounts may have limits on balance checks. Contact SASSA if you consistently face issues.
- USSD service down – Network issues may cause downtime. Try again later or confirm USSD service status with your provider.
Get Help from SASSA
If you continue having problems using the SASSA USSD service to check your balance, contact SASSA directly for assistance:
- Call the SASSA contact center toll-free at 0800 60 10 11
- Visit your nearest SASSA office for in-person support
- Log in to the SASSA self-service portal and submit an inquiry
SASSA has dedicated teams who can provide personalized support and help troubleshoot any issues accessing balance information via USSD. They can also advise you on the latest USSD codes and services available in your region.
With this step-by-step USSD method, you can conveniently monitor your SASSA grant funds and account activity without any airtime costs. Checking your balance regularly ensures you have access to your available grants for essential expenses.
Hello, I’m Dumisani Joubert, a passionate writer and advocate based in South Africa. With a deep commitment to providing accessible information, my website serves as a reliable resource for all things related to SASSA grants, offering valuable insights and guidance to empower individuals and communities.