The COVID-19 SRD grant provides monthly financial relief for unemployed South Africans. If you’ve applied for the R350 grant, here’s how to check whether your application was approved.
Log In to the SASSA SRD Website
To check your grant status, you’ll need to log in to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) website. Go to https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status and click on “Login” in the top right.
Enter Your ID and Phone Number
On the login page, enter your 13-digit South African ID number and the cell phone number you used when applying for the grant. This allows SASSA to pull up your application.
Once logged in, your grant status should be displayed. If approved, you’ll see:
- The month (e.g. “APR2022”)
- The outcome as “Approved”
- The pay date you’ll receive funds
- The date you applied
Understand Other Potential Statuses
If your grant wasn’t approved, your status may show as “Pending,” “Rejected,” or “Cancelled.” Here’s what each label means:
- Pending – Your application is still being processed
- Rejected – You didn’t meet the SRD grant requirements
- Cancelled – Your grant has been cancelled
Appeal a Rejection if you believe you qualify and were wrongly rejected.
Checking your status online is the fastest way to find out if your SRD grant was approved. Be sure to log in regularly to monitor updates.
And, if for some reason your SASSA Grant application was rejected, don’t lose hope. You can submit an appeal to have your grant status reevaluated.
First, Confirm You Meet the Requirements
Before appealing, double check that you do in fact meet the eligibility criteria for the R350 SASSA grant:
- You must be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee registered with Home Affairs
- You must be unemployed and not receiving any other social grant
- If employed, your income cannot exceed R350 per month
- You must be over 18 years old
If you meet all these criteria, you likely qualify and should appeal your rejection.
Submit an Appeal to the DSD
To start your appeal, you’ll need to contact the Department of Social Development (DSD). You can submit an appeal through these channels:
- Email your request to [email protected]
- Call 0800 601 011 and explain you were rejected and want to appeal
- Visit your nearest DSD office and complete an appeal in person
Provide your full name, ID number, and contact details in the appeal. Explain why you believe you deserve the grant and attach any supporting documents.
Wait for the DSD to Reassess Your Application
Once the DSD receives your appeal, they will re-evaluate your eligibility for the SRD grant. This process could take several weeks. Check your status regularly by logging into the SASSA SRD portal.
With an appeal, you still have a good chance of getting approved if you meet the requirements. Be persistent and patient in following up. The financial relief could be life-changing.
Hello, I’m Dumisani Joubert, a passionate writer and advocate based in South Africa. With a deep commitment to providing accessible information, my website serves as a reliable resource for all things related to SASSA grants, offering valuable insights and guidance to empower individuals and communities.