The R350 social relief grant was introduced by the South African government’s Department of Social Development in 2020 as a temporary financial support for low-income households impacted by COVID-19. With over 10 million South Africans registered for this grant, long queues and delays are common at Post Offices when collecting these monthly payments. Fortunately, grant recipients can now opt to receive their R350 at any Boxer store across South Africa instead.
What is the R350 Social Relief Grant?
The R350 grant provides a small monthly cash payment of R350 (about $20 USD) to unemployed South African citizens and permanent residents that meet certain criteria. It was launched as a short-term emergency measure during the COVID-19 pandemic but has been repeatedly extended by the government.
To qualify for the R350 grant, applicants must:
- Be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee registered in the Home Affairs system
- Be unemployed and not receiving income from other grants or UIF
- Have a total household income below R350 per month
- Not be receiving other government COVID-19 financial support
- Be over 18 years old and not receiving child support grants
The R350 grant is administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA), which accepts applications online and notifies approved recipients via SMS.
Why Change to Boxer for R350 Grant Collection?
Post Offices are the default payment method for the R350 grant. But with over 10 million recipients and only around 1,500 Post Office branches in South Africa, long queues and delays in collecting grants are common.
Some key benefits of switching your R350 grant payment method to Boxer stores include:
- Access to over 800 Boxer store locations across South Africa
- Extended store hours from 6am to 7pm for convenient collection
- Typically shorter queues and wait times compared to Post Offices
- Ability to collect funds on weekends and public holidays when Post Offices are closed
- Safe and secure cash handling processes in store
For these reasons, changing to Boxer stores can make collecting your R350 grant quicker and more convenient.
How to Change R350 Payment Method to Boxer Stores?
If you are an approved recipient of the R350 grant in South Africa, you can change your payout location to Boxer stores by following these steps:
- Go to the SASSA website (https://srd.sassa.gov.za)
- Click on the tab for either South African citizens or permanent residents/refugees
- Find and click on the “How do I change my banking details?” section
- Enter your 13-digit South African ID number and the mobile number registered with your R350 application
- Select “Boxer” store as your new payment method
- Complete and submit the change request form online
- Wait 3-5 working days for the update to take effect
You will receive an SMS notification from SASSA confirming that your payment method has been changed to Boxer stores.
What is Needed to Collect the R350 Grant at Boxer?
To collect your R350 grant at any Boxer store in South Africa, you will need:
- Original South African ID or asylum document used in your application
- Mobile phone with the registered SIM card
- SMS notification from SASSA specifying the collection date
No paperwork or documentation needs to be presented or completed at Boxer stores. The teller will simply validate your identity against SASSA’s system using your ID, mobile number, and the notified collection date.
Step-by-Step: Collecting the R350 Grant at Boxer Stores
Follow these simple steps when visiting a Boxer store to withdraw your R350 grant:
- Locate your nearest Boxer store and visit during opening hours (6am to 7pm daily)
- Present your original South African ID or asylum document to the teller
- Provide the mobile number registered with your R350 grant application
- The teller will verify your details on the POS device against the SASSA system
- Once verified, you will receive an SMS to confirm withdrawal
- Click “Yes” in the SMS to complete the collection
- Collect the R350 grant amount in cash from the teller
- Keep your mobile device and ID ready to present at Security if requested
- Your grant will be available for collection from the date specified in the SMS notification from SASSA
- Visit any Boxer store nationwide to withdraw – you are not restricted to a single location
As long as your identity documents match the details SASSA has on file, you can collect your funds simply by presenting your ID and mobile device at any Boxer store. No paperwork needs to be filled in or letters provided.
The R350 social relief grant provides a small but vital monetary payment to unemployed South Africans during difficult economic times. While Post Offices remain busy with long queues, SASSA grant recipients can now opt to collect their monthly funds quicker and more conveniently from any Boxer store instead.
By changing your payment method online to Boxer, presenting valid ID and your registered mobile device, and following the simple collection process, you can access your R350 grant safely and easily at over 800 locations nationwide. This provides for a streamlined, secure, and accessible grant collection experience.
Hello, I’m Dumisani Joubert, a passionate writer and advocate based in South Africa. With a deep commitment to providing accessible information, my website serves as a reliable resource for all things related to SASSA grants, offering valuable insights and guidance to empower individuals and communities.