The R350 social relief of distress (SRD) grant is a temporary financial assistance program introduced by the South African government for citizens facing economic hardship. In this guide we will explain eligibility criteria, required documents, and the step-by-step application process to follow when applying for the R350 grant for November 2023.
- 1 What is the R350 Social Relief Grant?
- 2 Who is Eligible for the R350 Grant?
- 3 What is the Income Threshold for the R350 Grant?
- 4 What is the Application Process for the R350 Grant?
- 5 What Documents Do You Need to Apply?
- 6 How Will You Know If Your Application Is Successful?
What is the R350 Social Relief Grant?
The R350 grant provides monthly payments of R350 rand to unemployed South Africans who are in financial distress and meet specific criteria. It was introduced as a short-term relief measure in response to the economic impact of COVID-19 lockdowns. The grant has been extended multiple times beyond the initial 3 months and will continue until March 2024.
Who is Eligible for the R350 Grant?
To qualify for the R350 grant, applicants must:
- Be between 18 and 59 years old
- Be a South African citizen, permanent resident, refugee or special permit holder
- Be unemployed without any income source
- Not receive any other social grants
- Not have savings exceeding R624 in your bank account
- Not reside in a government subsidized institution
- Not receive UIF payments or NSFAS stipend
- Have earned below R350 per month in the qualifying period
What is the Income Threshold for the R350 Grant?
Your bank account balance should not exceed R624 at the time of applying for the R350 grant. Any applications reflecting a higher balance will be rejected.
What is the Application Process for the R350 Grant?
There are two ways to apply for the R350 social relief grant – online or via WhatsApp.
Online Application Process
- Go to the SRD Grant website and click “Apply Online”.
- Enter your cell number and get a one-time PIN sent.
- Input the PIN and click “Confirm”.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Provide your personal, employment, bank details as prompted.
- Review and submit your completed application.
WhatsApp Application Process
- Save the SASSA WhatsApp number 082 046 8553 on your phone.
- Message “SRD Grant” to the number.
- Indicate who you are applying for when prompted.
- Send your name, surname, ID number as per your documents.
- Accept Terms and Conditions by replying YES.
- Answer citizenship status, bank details etc when asked.
- Click the link sent on WhatsApp to finish applying.
What Documents Do You Need to Apply?
Have these documents ready for your R350 grant application:
- Copy of your South African ID, passport or asylum document
- Recent bank statement showing balance of R624 or less
- Proof of your residential address
How Will You Know If Your Application Is Successful?
An SMS notification will be sent regarding your R350 grant application status. If approved, the SMS will confirm the date your grant payment will be deposited into your bank account.
By following this application guide, you can submit your complete R350 grant application easily online or via WhatsApp when the application window opens each month. Ensuring you meet the eligibility criteria and have required documents will streamline the application process and increase your chances of approval for this financial relief grant.
Hello, I’m Dumisani Joubert, a passionate writer and advocate based in South Africa. With a deep commitment to providing accessible information, my website serves as a reliable resource for all things related to SASSA grants, offering valuable insights and guidance to empower individuals and communities.